Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bill Plympton Master Class

Ummm... If they need a replacement for God he might be it. I mean God has to be getting tired after all.
Anyway, on topic! I really respect and genuinely understand his dogma of it being short, funny, and cheap because I see how it makes money and I can see how that might be more fun to make than anything else anyway. I really like people who just do what they want to do.
I LOVED his "Santa: The Fascist Days" piece. Anything that turns my childhood icons into Nazis is usually pretty enjoyable. Because even if he wasn't trying, let's be realistic - they DO take over everything. I mean, look at how Christmas marketing has come earlier and earlier. I don't know if I like seeing Christmas items next to Halloween items.
His dog series was stupendous. I really enjoy how he gets into the mind of his character and figure out why it is they do the things they do. I never had considered why a dog barks at a bird and now I see a good reason why.
I really appreciated the advice on where to show your work if you want to be recognized.

No comments:

Post a Comment